The BSUPA Level 1 “Ready to Ride” stand up paddleboard (SUP) lesson in Omaha, NE is aimed at people who have never stand up paddled before or who have had a go but want to learn the basics properly.
During the lesson you will be given an introduction to how the weather and environment affects you, how to carry the board and paddle, paddling technique, different types of turns, self rescue, how to fall safely as well as how to plan expeditions and the basics of stance in surf.
The 2 hour Stand Up Paddleboard lesson is run in flat water and at the end of it you will be presented with your BSUPA Level 1 Ready to Ride Certificate.
BSUPA (The British Stand Up Padddle Association) is a UK organisation officially created as an association to represent the interests of the Stand Up Paddle Boarder. BSUPA leads the development of the sport through training/coaching schemes.
WHAT WILL I LEARN
- Launch and recover safely (with assistance where required)
- Set up paddle, board and leash (with assistance where required)
- Know how to fall safely and recover to shore using a recovery method
- Have a good basic paddle stroke
- Perform a series of turns
- Show competence and confidence afloat
- Have an understanding of how weather effects SUP
- Allow approximately 2 hours for the SUP lesson
PREREQUISITES / MINIMUM AGE
- Minimum age is 12 years old
- You should be comfortable in the water and able to swim
- This is a strenuous but fun activity, and requires a reasonable level of fitness
- Maximum of 6 students per instructor
- Spectators are definitely welcome
WHAT TO WEAR
- Lightweight shorts and t-shirt, gym clothing, or swimsuit
- We recommend you bring a hat and towel as well
- Instruction by a BSUPA Instructor
- SUP Board, Paddle and Safety Equipment
- 2 Hour SUP lesson