Want to wet your feet before you dive right in? The PADI Basic Freediver course is a subset of the Freediver course and offers a great basis to start your journey, it’s a great first step in developing solid freediving skills by learning basic principles and focusing on breath hold techniques in a pool. This course is perfect if you would like to master your skills without the pressure of open water freediving.
The PADI Basic Freediver course consists of two main phases:
- Knowledge development about freediving principles through independent study with PADI Freediver eLearning
- Confined water session to learn breathhold techniques as well as static and dynamic apnea. Goal – static apnea of 90 seconds and dynamic apnea of 25 metres/80 feet
In the PADI Basic Freediver course, you learn to use a mask, snorkel and fins, a wetsuit and weight belt specifically for freediving. You will be taught special breath hold techniques on how to maximize your time safely under the water, as well as good swimming habits, relaxation techniques and more.
Before Start Date – you will receive an online eLearning Freediving manual to complete your theory at home in your own time. All the video clips, knowledge reviews, quizzes and final exam is completed beforehand. This manual is yours to keep and to refer back to refresh your freediving knowledge at any time.
Day 1 – Complete paperwork and review the theory with your instructor to ensure you understand the basic principles of freediving theory. After trying on your freediving equipment, making sure all the equipment fits comfortably you will head off to the pool to learn the basic skills.
Day 2 – If needed you will head back to the pool to complete required skills.
PREREQUISITES / MINIMUM AGE
- To enroll in a PADI Freediver course you must be at least 12 years old
- You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health
- No prior experience with snorkeling, skin diving or freediving is required
- Younger than 12? 8 year olds and older can enroll in the PADI Skin Diver course
- Maximum 4 students per instructor
WHAT TO WEAR / BRING
- A towel
- Swimming clothes
- A snack to eat and something to drink during the day
- Sun screen with an adequate SPF factor
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE COST?
- Full tuition by an internationally certified PADI Freedive instructor
- PADI Freediver eLearning
- Registration with PADI International Limited
- Pool sessions
WHAT IS EXCLUDED?
- Students are responsible for supplying transportation to the pool
- Snacks and drinks
Students are responsible for supplying all of the equipment items listed below:
Marley Smith –
The basic freediver course was probably the best PADI course I’ve ever taken. Jac was the best, and even added extra skill/instruction to help us feel better and safer in open water. Learned so much about myself during this experience that can also be applied to other aspects of life. 10/10 would recommend.
Being completely new to the diving world, the Adrenalised team made me feel completely comfortable prior to the actual course sessions through answering questions, helping me with equipment requirements and my specific needs, and what to expect on the coursework and training in the pool. During the pool sessions, my instructor Jacques was a great teacher – I felt confident entrusting him with my safety and learning how to keep myself safe while also learning my limits. His standards of teaching the skills is top notch, as well as his knowledge of diving and his real-world experience with it that came through during the training. I am excited to continue to progress to the next stages of freediver, which I wasn’t even sure I’d be able to do before this course but now have the confidence that I am absolutely capable to continue!